
drawing courtesy Adam
Some friends of ours started using the phrase Amy M Syndrome or AMS when they were feeling utterly exhausted. Apparently they are also aware of my chronic tiredness.
Sadly, I live in a perpetual tired state. I'm not sure how long it's been going on for, though I think Adam would say as long as I've known you, but it's definitely been off and on since I've had kids. Lately I haven't been sleeping well so it has exacerbated the problem. I've wondered if it's my thyroid, but I had that checked a year ago and nothing came up. I use to not sleep well due to something on my mine, but I haven't felt that way at all lately. I'm quite frustrated and hate feeling on a daily basis like I'm fighting to find the energy to get anything done.
So today I decided it was time to get back in an exercise routine. I was great in September, but stopped doing it because I was just so tired I didn't want to get up in the morning. I'm not sure if this will be the answer, but I am willing to try because I'm so desperate to feel good, to feel like a normal person with energy. I guess tonight I will see if it make a difference.
I know some of you out there have problems with either falling asleep or staying asleep (mine is the later) so can you give me some advice as to what you do? Do you take meds? Have you seen a sleep disorder specialist? Do you exercise and still have trouble sleeping? I guess I'm willing to try anything because it's getting to the point where it's so common I can't live this way.
Wish me luck! I'm crossing my fingers that tonight will be different. I will say today felt better so I have reason to hope.
18 comments:
I know this is probably not the answer you are looking for, but Ambien worked wonders for me.
I don't understand the business of the new Ambien CR. Why in the world anyone would want it controlled release is beyond me. To me the whole beauty of it is it NOT being CR. I like that is wears off fairly quickly, so there is no "hangover" type feeling the next day. I know people who like Lunesta too.
Ambien helped me establish a regular sleep pattern 3 or 4 years ago and if I ever get off track nowadays, I just take it again 2 or 3 nights in a row and I'm good to go. I also only take a half of the smallest dose, so that I feel like I could still wake up if my kids woke up for an emergency, etc.
At 1st I hated the thought of "relying" on a drug to help me sleep, but I don't view it like that now. Also, a 15 pill prescription lasts me more than a year.
Hope this helps and that you don't find this wacky. I'm all about a mug of warm milk but when I got to the point that it was either get some sleep or lose my sanity, this helped me.
I suffer from the can't get back to sleep thing while I am pregnant. This one has been especially hard. I feel like I have been awake for most of tis pregnancy. I hope you find something that works.
My problem is staying asleep... I'll have to wake at 4 or 5:30am for a potty break and can't fall back asleep until 7am when I crash I'm so tired. So I try to drink all I need during the day and stop by 7pm. When I cut out caffienated soda it helped (I've heard you shouldn't drink it after 2pm because of the caffeine side effect at night). Melatonin is helpful when I don't feel sleepy but I should (GNC and it's really cheap). My legs get twitchy at night and that sometimes wakes me. I've prefered not to wear socks to bed for years but recently started again and found that maybe that's what's helping me stay sound asleep. Sleep Number beds are supposed to be the BOMB for helping your body get and stay in REM. It might be sleep apnea, which I hear can be serious, so don't wait too long to have your sleep tested (I've gotta do that when we have insurance again). Sorry for the book :o)
Fatigue is something I am familiar with... I have had more restless nights than not since my twins were born almost 5 years ago (actually, I didn't sleep much when I was pregnant either!).
Recently my son was sick (asthma/strep throat) so I didn't sleep much for that month and that got me back into a really restless cycle. I think my body got used to being up and now I'm not sleeping well again.
Exercise did get me out of a bad bout of insomnia - but for me I had to walk (in a hilly area) until I was exhausted and then went right to bed and slept like a baby (a sleepy baby - not a colicky one!!). I think breaking the cycle is part of the key.
I too was exercising in September but fell off the wagon - I was doing Vinyasa Flow Yoga - so good for the body and the mind - felt fabulous after each class. Maybe we should start an 'excercise encouragement group' so we can all motivate each other - goodness knows I need some motivation!!
Good luck with everything - you might not notice a difference with the exercise right away but I bet you will in a week or so.
Sending you encouraging vibes!!!
My sleep issues go in spurts, so fortunately they rarely last a long time. Usually I'm able to regroup after a few nights of rough sleep.
I find exercising helps a ton, so does taking a hot shower right before bed (it turns me into a noodle).
I've taken sleeping pills 3 or 4 times and haven't noticed much difference.
I have a horrible time sleeping. I've been an insomniac my entire life (at least for as long as I can remember).
I went on got my hormones tested this past summer and found that I am progesterone and estrogen deficient. She gave me some hormone creams and I sleep so well now, it's crazy. Anyway, that may be something to look into. Good luck!
Few things are worse than sleep trouble..because it truly effects every other aspect of existence. It's not something I've had to deal with other than on occasion, but I hope you find something that works for you soon.
i have week-long bouts of insomia once or twice a year. i fall asleep OK, but then something wakes me, and i am fitfull for the rest of the night.
i seem to be in one of those bouts, now.
exercising definitely helps me, also having at least 1/2 hour of *me* time after EVERYONE is asleep so i can unwind my mind. hope you find some zzzzs soon!
When I can't stay asleep it is usually because I have a lot on my mind. So I started to keep a little notebook by my bed to jot down things- they are random things from a project idea, to a layout sketch, to-do items for the next day, a book to read etc.
Unisom helped me a ton when I was pregnant. It was mild and and didn't have that hangover feeling in the morning.
I wish I had some advice for this. I have no trouble sleeping, but I still have the exhaustion all day long. I am hoping exercising regularly will help with that. Best of luck to you, I hope you are dreaming soon.
For me, it's getting up early and taking a hot bath before bed. I hope you get some sleep soon. It sounds like more than just a once-in-a-while problem. I'm sending you fluffy lambs to count and dream about!:)
I'm having the very same problem. I have NO trouble falling asleep, but I am waking up around 3 in the morning. I am certain that it is because I have so much going on right now, but not getting enough sleep is really not making things any better. I am interested to see what everyone has to say on this subject. Hope we can both get some rest soon!
I have had chronic problems with sleep too. My rheumatologist gave me some information on how to improve sleep- don't read in bed, don't have a tv in your bedroom, use your bed for its designated purposes, try having a bedtime routine. Some have been helpful, but it is hard to change habits. I have taken a number of sleep aides, but found if I didn't get a good 8 hours of sleep I felt hung over the next day, so I stopped taking them. Also it isn't really ideal when there is a new baby in the house.
good luck! Sorry I don't have any more suggestions.
Oh Amy, I am so thankful for this post. I have SEVERE lethargy. I fight it on a daily basis and have tried all of the things you mentioned. I was diagnosed with a flat mitral valve and low blood pressure. I try everything I can to get enough sleep...but I struggle with sleep too...and it seems when I exercise I am just that much more exhausted...good luck on your quest from another suffering from AMS!
I agree with Lara - have your thyroid rechecked and also your horomone levels. I've been struggling to get pregnant for the past 4 years and all of my tests came back 'normal' until i went to a specialist that was willing to narrow it down to particular levels and what those levels mean to my body. I also found out I have a vitamin D deficiency that was making me tired too. Since I've increased that and started taking a natural thyroid booster I have had so much more energy! It's been truly amazing. I've got a great dr in Orem (not sure where you are located) that I would recommend.
There is also a good book you can check out about the thyroid.
The Thyroid Hormone Breakthrough: Overcoming Sexual and Hormonal Problems at Every Age by Mary J. Shomon
If you suspect your thyroid, definately check it out! I found it at my local library.
Good luck with everything!
When I moved to UT last year I discovered East/West Acupuncture and a NAET practitioner in the same office. I also went through a lot of doctors in CA until I found one that would admit that I needed some thyroid help (blood tests showed on the low side of normal). I feel so much better now! Adrenal burn-out is also a culprit to check into. Good-luck!
Ames, as you know I haven't be able to sleep well for quite some time. The doctor just told me that progesterone is very helpful in a capsule, not a cream, for helping you to STAY asleep. I got some pills from him and have been in ga-ga-land ever since!
Have you had your iron checked? I would sit on the couch, thinking about everything I wanted to get done but all I could do was stare into space, so tired. The dr. checked and I was really low on iron, got some pills and was up and running in about a week. worth a try...
Post a Comment