Thursday, April 30, 2009

"staying strong"

New Amy is what Adam lovingly refers to as the Amy who's come so far and made so much progress. The Amy who doesn't worry about things she has no control of. The Amy who is more in charge of her life. We like the new Amy.

Monday afternoon Adam called me after listening to a disturbing piece on NPR and reluctantly started talking about his concerned regarding the swine flu. This is not something he would normally bring up for fear I would get crazy, but his concerned for the flu forced him to share his thoughts. My low key, not worried reaction surprised him and he thanked the new Amy for being so rational. My thinking is what can we do about it, but be smart, watch for signs, and get to the doctor when necessary. I've devoted time to talking to and begging my girls to constantly wash their hands at school and not to share food.

Today however, feels different. I've been desperately trying to keep the old Amy at bay as the flu is spreading and words like pandemic are surfacing in the media...I can feel my own panic level rise. All I've wanted to do is take my kids out of school and hunker down for the next, I don't know, 2-3 weeks for this whole thing to blow over.

Adam's advice, stay strong.

Advice I've taken to heart. Instead of letting myself get consumed by watching the numbers rise I decided to channel the new Amy and turn my fears into action. I found myself at the grocery store this afternoon stocking up on items we might need (meds, cough drops, etc.). Also buying extra food so we feel no need to go on the outside if we don't have to. I know it sounds sort of crazy, but I guess you just never know and I'd rather be doing something.


[taken 9 April 2009 on a rainy day]

So now I feel calmer. Better. I guess that's what they mean when they say, when you're prepared you need not fear. Don't get me wrong we're not that prepared, but we're better off than we were yesterday and I guess that's what counts or at least that's what I'm telling myself.

Does this flu scare you?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy that you aren't channeling the old Amy and that the new one is winning out!

I am not freaked out for some reason. Hundreds of thousands of people die from the normal flu each year... I think the media is having a hey day with this one.

Robyn said...

I think being prepared and thinking rationally are very important things to do. I think the news is going crazy and like Hannah said, 100s of people die of other things like the normal flu all the time and they don't label it a 'pandemic' and freak us out, so let's just sit tight. We like the new Amy!!

amy gretchen said...

hannah and robyn i totally agree. 1000s of people die every year from the regular flu. I guess yesterday the news just got the better of me.

christie said...

I feel the same way. I don't think it's weird AT ALL. I also was at the grocery store yesterday "stocking up"...2 bags of chicken, 4 loaves of bread, lots of cereal...okay I probably over bought. But I too keep thinking that I need to be prepared in case we do need to stay at home for awhile. But I am feeling a lot better about things today. Just going to sit tight & see what happens. If it gets bad, at least we are ready!

TX Girl said...

You would think that since I'm in kind of in the middle of the epidemic (we have two school districts within driving distance that have closed down completely for the next week or so) AND I'm a public health person I would be totally freaked out-- but I'm not. Wash your hands. Really- this is the best thing you can do. Luckily most (if not all) the cases in the US have been mild in comparison.

You also have to realize the reason this one is so different from the regular flu, is because it is hitting people not normally susceptible (in terms of severity). Also, labeling it a pandemic is important, because it helps to identify where it is and also how rapidly it is spreading. It also allows for medications to be released and funds to be sent to hard hit areas. It sounds freaky, but as long as you take normal precautions (like washing hands, not sending sick kids to school or anywhere else for that matter) there isn't much more you can do.

Do you love my public health service announcement?

Lucy said...

Not freaked out here, but annoyed at the media for freaking so many others out. I do understand the need to spread information, but I think they are doing it for ratings and the result is spreading fear instead of real information. Joe Biden isn't helping either.

I love you for expressing yourself, though. It is brave!

amy gretchen said...

lara yes I love how much information you have. Thanks.

Lucy your funny. I agree poor Biden opens his mouth for the first time and they're already back pedaling. ps why is it being brave?

TX Girl said...

Lucy,
Did you hear the press secretary afterwards? They were backpedaling like crazy. Talk about creating some kind of crazy panic.

Crystalyn said...

i've been fine until i was at the temple last night and the women sitting right next to me on my left OBVIOUSLY didn't feel well and kept coughing. initially into her arm but then into her right hand which was right next to me. AAGH! i had to basically sit on my hands until i could wash them.

glad you had a good time with megan. and YAY for starting an etsy store! that's awesome!

michelle said...

I love the idea of new Amy! I need a new Michelle.

you might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...