
Adam and I decided it was time to teach our children the value of money. We have friends who give their kids an allowance, a dollar for each year they've been alive so Bella would get $7 a month, and they have seen it pay off as they're deep in the teenage years now. We are starting off small (next year I think we may give $ once a week), but the whole purpose is for them to have more opportunities to spend money so they learn just how much things cost. For instance going to the movies and having them pay their own way etc. It's certainly doing the trick, Bella had her first learning experience while looking through the scholastic book order form. She desperately wanted this diary that I thought was hideous. I told her she'd need to use her money to purchase it, but to keep in mind it was $6.95 so if she bought it she wouldn't have any money to buy anything else with until February. It took her hours to make up her mind and when she finally came to me with her decision she just couldn't spend all her money on one thing because what if there was something else she wanted in the mean time. So Bella's getting it, but Tess is a different story. She wanted something that was $7.95 and she only had $5. Well, Tess figured she would break the bank and go get her money from her piggy bank and throw in 3 more dollars. I guess we have a ways to go with her, but hopefully by the time it counts they will make good decisions.
2. encyclopedia project
After reading Michelle's post about Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life I was intrigued by this book that was inspiring everyone. Although I have not read the book and have no clue what it's about I can't get the concept, or what I believe to be the concept, our of my mind. So after much thought about how I would apply this encyclopedia idea to my life I decided to use this

3. going veggie

Adam is trying a new way of eating, at least for the month of January, to see if it makes a difference. So around here we have been all veggie, all the time. It doesn't seem to make too much of a difference to me until it comes to cooking dinner. I don't have a clue what to make on a normal diet so to limit what I can make and try to find ways to give us protein is proving to be challenging. I made a bean soup the other night that turned into a tragedy. It didn't really look like soup so I thought we could have it over rice, but even that didn't solve the problem. The problem was the flavor...it didn't really have any. Argh! All that time wasted. So if any of you have recipes that you love that don't include meat please share. I need them.
16 comments:
Ah the value of money. Mya has been learning it in the form of penny candy but still spends it all in one shot then mourns the candy-less days that follow.
I LOVE this encyclopedia idea...and really do insist that you read the book. Where did you get that nifty card holder?
And here are a few links for go-to recipes we like:
http://gummierecipes.blogspot.com/2006/03/cream-broccoli-soup.html
Alfredo sauce that is good on spinach artichoke pizza or fettuccine:
http://gummierecipes.blogspot.com/2006/03/alfredo-sauce.html
http://sprinklesandtwinkles.blogspot.com/2007/10/black-bean-enchiladas.html
I give my kids allowance and follow the $1 per year but they get it WEEKLY since I make them put 1/2 into college savings (more for the point of it) and we will incorporate tithe soon too.
Luci uses hers for book order items and to buy songs on itunes for her ipod. Griffin gets $4 a week since he is 4, then puts $2 in savings so it takes him a long time to even get enough for a book or toy. He dumped an entire bottle of shampoo into the tub recently, so his $2 spending was taken to replace the shampoo he wasted.
I think allowance is a great way to teach children to spend and save responsibly.
We haven't really thought about allowance. I guess I should since Taylor is nearly 11. Yikes.
Veggies would be tough for dinner. We use Tony Chacheres (have you heard of that?)spice on EVERYTHING. (along with spray butter) there are 0 calories and really add flavor.
Good luck!
How do you feel about Indian food? There are lots of Indian vegetarian dishes. You should also search the Internet for vegetarian recipes. And don't forget salt. Salt makes everything taste better!
Landon totally gets the concept of money and is good about saving it. Whitney is wreck about it and still refers to it as "green dollars". She thinks if she offers to give us everything she has then that should be enough, so that $20 Valentine dog stuffed animal she saw at the grocery store would only end up costing her about $1.75. Not good.
I just got that book today on Hannah's recomend. I can't wait to read it.
Just so you know you are a total inspiration and I'm working on getting some of my creative mojo back. Thanks for sharing all your projects with us.
We give our kids allowance and it is always interesting to see what they do with it. I love that they buy each other real gifts for Christmas!
I totally want to do some kind of Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life project of my own -- I just haven't figured out what it will be yet. LOVE that card holder.
I've only made one or two of her things, but this blog always has some delicious looking veggie meals. http://www.101cookbooks.com/
Good luck!!
Hey Amy. I tried to email you a recipe, but I must not have the right address. Will you email me? adamsinhershey@yahoo.com
Thanks!
Check out Nienie's veggie cuisine blog. She hasn't updated it in a long time, but it has some easy recipes. I enjoy your blog and beautiful photos! http://www.cuisinenie.blogspot.com/
Hi Amy,
Give Quinoa a try - you can check it out in the latest Issue of Everyday Food or on Martha's website. Quinoa is supposed to be the 'perfect protein' - we incorporate Quinoa into breakfast but it can also be good in dishes for lunch and dinner.
Giada DeLaurentiis makes good bean/pasta ('Pasta e Fagioli') soup - it's in her 'Family Dinners' cookbook - probably on the foodnetwork website too. It calls for pancetta (or bacon) but I leave that out and just add a little more salt if it needs it.
We also get protein through hummus and this is one of our favourite (simple) hummus recipes (Martha - again)...
1 19 oz. can chick-peas, drained
1 large garlic clove, sliced
Juice of 1 lemon
1/3 cup olive oil
Coarse kosher salt to taste
Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth. Serve at room temp.
We eat it with pita chips, tortilla chips, crackers etc.
Good luck with everything!
http://www.aliciagilbert.blogspot.com/
Amy this is the blog address of a friend of mine who is doing something similar to Adam. hopefully you two can be of help to each other!
I'm so glad there is something your not good at! I was starting to get a complex. Wait...i'm not good at cooking either. Oh well, I love your willingness to try!
I know the shape.com recipe locator has a vegetarian search. Cookinglight.com might too. Good luck!
Funny that you request recipes b/c I just made a long list for you the other day- may have even been the day you posted this! I have all the recipes and would be happy to bring them over one day so you can check through them or copy them down. I think it's great that you guys are making an effort to eat healthy foods. Adam is looking great and I bet he is feeling great too. Veggie foods are the best. When can we have an Indian night? My stomach is growling....
Amy,
I like to do vegetarian meals once a week too. Here are a few you should try:
Cooking Light, Farfalle with Wild Mushroom Sauce
Southwestern Salad (look on my blog for this one--int he earlier days), this is such a keeper. My kids love it too, even though it is vegetarian.
Try Martha Stewart's Big Batch Vegetable Soup.
The Lionhouse also has a good Potato Leek soup recipe.
Try those for starters!
Good luck...
Post a Comment