Wednesday, September 09, 2009

finally giving PW a try

I've heard about Pioneer Woman for a long time now from Robyn and Hannah. Just recently after this post I decided it was time to give her a try...after all I want to be eating as well as the rest of you. The first thing I saw when I visited her site was this and I knew then that my family would never have boring same old meals again. Robyn she is my hero too.

I was intrigued by her site and so impressed by the amount of details she gives for each dish. Seriously, with her help anyone can be a cook. After searching through for a few minutes last week this recipe for strawberry jam caught my attention. I've always wanted to make jam, but was too afraid. I don't know, I guess I was intimidated by the inevitable jars not sealing properly and exposing my family and friends to botulism.

Enter domestic diva I can try anything (once) Amy...I tried it.


[photo by Adam. Check out my cute apron...first time wearing it. I knew I would have a hard time getting it messy.]

Round of applause please....I made jam, for the first time in my life. It feels like quite the accomplishment except I didn't follow her recipe exactly because I didn't have a big pot and didn't want to spend the money on it right now. Instead I did freezer jam. Definitely less complicated, but still intimidating nevertheless.



When I was done, took about 40 minutes, I had made 7 8oz jars of some fantastic raspberry jam if I do say so myself. Ok, so Megan doesn't like it, but Bella does and I do, so that's 2 out of 3 (Adam and Tess have still yet to try it). The best thing I have found about this jam, other than it tastes good and was easy to make, is they're perfect for sharing...I only have 1 jar left in my freezer! I think I'll be making a few more batches this weekend so we're stocked up this winter.

PS If you're not into cooking and never want to be still give Pioneer Woman a try. She's a great writer and is an amazing photographer with great tips. But I'm sure you already knew that...I think I'm the slow learner here.

9 comments:

Jeanelle said...

Have I commented here before? If not, hi and love your blog! :)

I love PW. The recipes I highly recommend from her site: Pam's caesar salad, lasagna, Pastor Ryan's monkey bread and apple turnovers. You should really make the turnovers. They are super fast, easy to make and taste so good.

My life said...

I try jam this year for the first time too. It's so delicious more than the one you buy at the store!
Give a try to home made bread with it and enjoy great and tasty breakfast!
Sandrine from France.

Jill said...

I check out the Pioneer Woman regularly even though I don't love to cook.

I think that Tikki Masala looks like cat food, it just does.

michelle said...

WHAT is that adorable apron??! I want it.

I love Pioneer Woman. Everything I've tried from her site is delicious. I love making freezer jam -- I've made the cooked kind and had it not turn out properly, but freezer jam always works!

Anonymous said...

Oh I am so glad you came around and tried something of hers! Everything I have made of hers turns out. So good! Your jam looks so great! Good work :)

Metalworx Design said...

That's funny, I was reading about that jam at 3am the other morning. You or hannah need to make some bread to go with it for bookclub, yeah!

Midge said...

Sorry that last comment was me -Marj

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Go, Amy Go! I'm glad you made jam.

I think her photography is amazing, but I also think yours is. Glad you found her site. I go out every month or two and look around.

Robyn said...

PW is fantastic! You know you can become a fan on FB too? She's very enjoyable.

The jam was delicious! Thank you so much for being so generous after your hard labor and sharing with us. We've been eating it so much it's nearly gone. When's our next delivery?

I don't know why you're surprised that you were successful- you are good at everything you try!! Seriously, it's kind of annoying but you know I love you.

you might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...