
[iphone instagram app]
The day before my brother died, Sunday, I remember like it was yesterday, the way he stood up after church, gave my sister and I a hug at the same time and said, "i love you guys". I remember how we both randomly ended up at my cousins that evening. I didn't know he was going to be there and vice versa, it just happened that he showed up with friends and we were all hanging out. It doesn't seem that random, except it was, that had never happened before. I don't recall the specifics of what was said or even if we hung out that much, but I do remember being in my aunt's bedroom and he was there and I think maybe he was making fun of me about the boy I liked. There was some lively banter, though like I said, it is vague. Then I was at the door leaving, he was there too, I swear he was teasing, he said something to the boy, but the memory is faint, and then I left and that was the last time I saw him.
When I roll these images around in my head of those final moments I am disturbed by the large chunks of time left missing. I don't remember what happened after church to the time we saw each other at our cousins. I don't remember if we had dinner as a family or what we talked about, I hope we did, but I don't know, that time is blurry--and so is our goodbye. I think maybe if I spoke with some of the people there that night I may be able to piece it all together, get a better picture, in fact I'm almost sure I could, but it bugs me that some moments are held tight while others drift away.
I never really made a connection until I was reading Sunday and it got me thinking about my final goodbye with my brother that goodbyes are not something I take lightly anymore. Death changes you. It just does. If you've been through it, you know exactly what I mean and while we all mourn differently and at our own pace, at the other end we come out of it completely different--changed. It's impossible not to, tragedy does not leave one unscathed. And in this one thing, parting, I am completely different than I once was. Goodbyes hold a lot more meaning to me now, and I know this is going to sound completely insane and morbid, but you never do know when it will be your last. In all our years of marriage there have only been a few times where I've let Adam leave on bad terms and let me just tell you, I can't go a few hours without calling and making things right with him. Mostly I end up at the last minute, just in the nick of time, running down the stairs and seeing him get into his car, me waving from the door and telling him I love him--you just never know.
And it's not so much the saying goodbye as much as it's remembering that moment. When the girls leave for school I love them up, send them on their way, and watch them disappear up the hill. It's not really something I do consciously, I'm not standing there wondering if it's the last time I will see them, but deep down I think I'm trying to burn the memory of that moment into my brain. And not even in the case of death, more so, I do it so that I'm present right then and I'll have it to recall on later. I guess you could say remembering has become vitally important to me and don't doubt it has something to do with why I document my life. I don't want to forget where we are or where we've come from.
I guess you could say my experience with death taught me that I want to live a mindful life. I'd like to say that I'm awesome at living mindfully, that I've been living that way since that fateful day in 1992, and even though I don't think I do such a bad job of it, it's still something that I'm continually perusing and working towards. I want to be present in the moment, to be aware of who's around me and what they need, to be mindful of the time given, to be grateful for what I have when I have it now--not when it's gone.
I wish that was a lesson I could have learned another way, but I am grateful, today, that I learned it nevertheless.
xxox
9 comments:
What a thoughtful post. I know which part of the book you are referring to and Lawson does an amazing job or reeling the reader into the chaos and confusion of a young girl, though a bit sanitized from the pain due to the effects of time and memory.
It's interesting reading about your last memories with your brother. I wish I were always so present, but, unfortunately, there are too many times when my boys are sent off knowing their mother was annoyed by them. What if any of those moments was my final memory? Thanks for the reminder.
I understand what you mean about wanting to burn those moments into your memory, to be able access them at a later time. I was thinking just that this evening as I whispered "I love you" to my my sweet two year-old girl and, in the sweetest, tiniest little voice she whispered back to me "I love you, too, Mama." Something about that moment was so pure and precious that I never want to forget it.
I digress. Thank you for this post. I think I'm going to go write about that moment with my daughter, while it's fresh in my heart and memory.
I hope you are having a nice night. So happy to have found your blog, and your sweet self :)
Lisa
Mindful was the exact word that came to mind. Living in the moment. I have nothing to compare your pain to, but I do have empathy/
I do the exact same things with my husband and children. You truly never know whether or not it is your last moment with them.
When my sister died she was very sick with leukemia. I remember the last time I saw her awake and alert was when she walked out of our home to go to the hospital. I remember thinking that I should give her a hug but dismissed the thought because it seemed silly to my 15 year old self. While I regret that in many ways it has also been the greatest gift. I try to make sure I don't neglect a last hug or kiss to the people I love.
I think we often feel that death is a taker of the meaning of life, but I wonder if it truly is the ultimate giver. It makes all that is important come into focus and all that is not slip from our view. Once you have experienced it's presence in your life, if you let it mold you and change you for good, you have a much deeper and meaningful life. As you, I wish I didn't have to go through what I did to learn this lesson, but I'm also very grateful for the lesson none the less.
I loved Meg's comment. I think that death is the ultimate giver, especially when someone is taken young or in a shocking "no one can believe it" kind of way.
I've experienced the loss of someone close a couple of times and beautiful opportunities and redirection occurred. It was and still is painful to think about the last time I saw them and whatnot, but the loss led to renewed friendships that had been neglected, hurts made long ago that were fixed, and reminded me just how important family is. I, like you, wish I could have learned it a different way, but I'm grateful for the enlightenment. Especially since I know each of those little steps were orchestrated by someone else.
Thanks Amy.
I'm so glad you posted this. Good food for thought, but an even better insight into your heart and soul.
sure do love you.
xoxox
Mindful life....now that's a phrase that says it all, Amy.
thank you for this post... ever so timely for me as I just lost my mother. My memories of her feel so full of holes and it truly is painful to not remember all the details of the last fully present conversation I had with her.
Post a Comment