2. There are good people in this world willing to help strangers
I had just dropped Megan off at a friends house, picked Tess up from school, and was heading home when I came around the corner onto my street and slide into the embankment and got totally stuck.

Since we were about 300 yards from home Tess and I got out of the car and walked home with the intention of getting a shovel and digging the car out. Well that was a joke. After about 15 minutes of shoveling I quickly realized just how stuck my car was and with Adam out of town and 2 kids that still needed picking up today I could be in big trouble.
Lucky for me my car got stuck across the street for a seminary and soon enough a teacher came out with a shovel in his hands to help me. He was a lifesaver. He helped me dig my car out which took about 30 minutes, told me to put my car in low gear, and guided me out of the hole I was in (I could never have figured all that out on my own).
I got in the car after thanking him profusely and tears rolled down my face. I wasn't near crying before, but I was so grateful to this man for getting me out of such a mess that the tears came. Earlier while we were both shoveling I asked him if he was missing a class and he really didn't answer, then I realized after he was gone that he was probably on his lunch break. It's nice to know there are people willing to use their precious time to help a stranger...little old me.
Now I've got to ask some of the kids in my neighborhood who the teacher is so I can send him a thank you or do something to thank him for helping me. Any ideas?
Have you ever been stuck like that before? I am so tired of the snow right now and I heard it's going to snow again tomorrow.
19 comments:
What a Christ-like thing for a seminary teacher to do. I definitely think you should find out who he is and give him a nice thank you note and something else (flowers, a huge container of Lifesavers, some other treat, etc.).
Things like this make us realize how vulnerable we are and how much we need other people. It's humbling, in a good way.
I think it would be lovely for you to send him a thank you and one of your beautiful creations! I don't know what, but I'm sure you can come up with something thoughful and beautiful.
how about sending him a gift certificate to a restaurant nearby and say that it's a make-up for the lunch he missed that day. What a nice person. It's good to know time and time again that there are such good people out there!
so good to know that there are still kind strangers out there. I'm glad you got out.
If you read my blog today you will know that yes, I got stuck last night in the snow! Lori and Kelly helped me out- no digging, just pushing.
It's crazy this year, isn't it? That is awesome that a stranger would help you out for so long and with so much work involved! I think Mindy's idea is excellent. Give him a great lunch.
God works in mysterious ways - it is always nice to see the good side of humanity :)
No More Snow! I think we should start a picket line. I have been thankful for the local, kind folks around here. They have rescued my sixteen year old driver twice! Needless to say, he hates the snow now too.
Thank goodness for people like that in the world! I wish I had a good idea to share but I sure you will come up with some brilliant and beautiful idea for a thank you.
Thank goodness for people like that in the world! I wish I had a good idea to share but I sure you will come up with some brilliant and beautiful idea for a thank you.
I slid off an icy highway once and wasn't really stuck, but with the traffic going past, I did't dare try, then a guy with a truck stopped, and hooked me up, while another guy stopped to direct traffic away so we could get out- I was so grateflu to theyse guys that I didn't know and would never see again. so grateful for kind people out there in the world!
What an awesome service. No doubt a blessing for you and for him to lend service to a stranger. You've gotten some great ideas, I know you'll do something heartfelt for him.
I can't believe all the snow you have in UT!
I love when people are helpful... so nice. Very good idea - the lunch and lifesavers. Why do things like this always happen when husbands are away?
I'm so glad you got some help but also love that you weren't helpless and panicky. You're a strong, bright woman who recognizes grace and truth. No, we can't do it alone.
Good thinking to take a photo! I have been humbled and brought to tears by the service of others many times. It always makes me want to serve in turn. I'm so glad that nice man noticed your plight and came to your aid. And I LOVE Lucy's comment!
That is fantastic! I have a special place in my heart for seminary teachers anyhow! I was going to suggest making him a huge plate of cookies with a note - but perhaps a great glass jar with some etching on it - you are a lifesaver - or something and then fill it with lifesavers (like Jill suggested) - that way, it is a conversation starter in seminary, something to share with others and something sweet for someone who is kind and helpful! (oh, perhaps make him a card with the photo of your stuck car on it!!) :-)
People like that make me cry too! I have had a man stop to help me with my battery once. I am sure you made his day as well with your "thank-you's" :)
So sorry to read that you got stuck but so glad that you got help - sounds like a very kind person helped you out.
As far as a gift goes... as the wife of a teacher I can tell you that some of 'our' favourite little gifts have been a Starbuck's mug (fun to use at school or home) and gift certificates to a great book store, the movies or Starbuck's etc..
Hope you'll tell us what you end up doing =)
A.
You could bring him take out lunch someday.
I like the idea of etching a glass jar - Maybe you could etch the words "The world needs more lifesavers like you!" in a circle. Then fill it with lifesavers. It would be a great lesson for him to teach his students.
Post a Comment