Tuesday, January 06, 2009

spt (self portrait tuesday) - resolve

tuesday, january 6 i resolve to take more self-portraits
tuesday, january 13 i resolve to take more self-portraits with people i love
tuesday, january 20 i resolve to take more self-portraits while trying new things
tuesday, january 27 i resolve to take more self-portraits doing things i enjoy

Well, I'm not taking on the challenge I did last year to take a self portrait everyday, we all know how that ended, but I am resolved to be involved in the SPT each week. It's such a great way to a) make sure you are present in your families memory books, b) a great way to reflect about life in a way you may not have ever thought before, and c) a really great photography challenge. I'm definitely looking forward to another 52 weeks of challenges.



Since self-portraits are something I've been doing for a while now, one thing I'm going to try to capture is everyday life in my self portraits. In this photo I am writing in my journal aka life book. Yes, I have now officially started a journal and haven't missed a day since January 1st (the goal to write something everyday if only a line or two). It's something I've wanted to do for a long time and for some reason or another it keeps getting pushed to the back of my list. This year I decided there is enough that gets missed with blogging because I either feel like it's too personal, it's so boring who would want to read it, or I just don't find the time to blog that I want to make sure the workings of my thoughts don't go unrecorded. I can't tell you how many times I've thought about blogging about something on my mind and then I end up completely forgetting. Hopefully by doing both (blogging and a journal) I will get a great sense of our family life this year.

Have you started up a journal again?

21 comments:

Unknown said...

you are my self-portrait mentor!!

you know i love journaling. i even love to read back over the mundane, the frustraging, the "not blog-worthy" stuff, too...

Tina said...

I used to love journaling when I was younger, but now I too find myself putting it off for one reason or another. Hmm, maybe this will be my goal for next month - to start journaling again.

Tiffinee said...

BEAUTIFUL! Your children will cherish those pictures of you forever! You are great to journal. I have never kept a journal in my life, and I wish I did. Blogging is the closest thing I have, and I am greatful for that.

Becky said...

Amazing photo!

I love to journal and always have; it's therapeutic for me. Good luck!

Rebekah said...

i've recommitted to journaling again for the same reasons. there are a lot of things i want to write down for only me, or whoever ends up with my journals when i die...;)

Lene said...

Your self portraits are always amazing.

I am horrible at keeping a journal, but apparently I get it from my Mom. I recently found a journal that belonged to her that skipped from 1975 to 1979. But I loved how she just picked up like she hadn't missed a day.

Missy said...

i definitely should start up a journal again! i like the idea of your spts making sure you are in your family photos. never thought of it like that before! thanks! :o)

Kim Sue said...

beautiful as always - you and photo!

Amy said...

I've been thinking about journaling, as well. When I started blogging, it seemed like a perfect solution for documenting life, but there is so much that is left out for precisely the reasons you listed. I'll have to think about that.

Beautiful photo. I need to figure out the timer on my camera!

Kelly said...

You always do the most amazing self-portraits. I could definitely stand to improve the photography challenge part of mine.

Blogging has been the only successful journal of my life, so I'm just happy about that.

Robyn said...

No, I don't write in a journal really, I rely on my blog. I do have one and add something every now and then. It's usually every few months. I think it's good b/c you write different things than you write on your blog. Good luck with your goal.

MGF said...

I have never thought of journaling. Is self talk the same- hahaha.
I starting blogging htis year- wonder if that counts?

Dacia said...

I love your photo. I haven't written in my journal in forever. I wish I could have your motivation to pick that up again! Good for you!

MaryRC said...

i admire those who journal, and when i see a journal handed down from generation to generation, i say to myself, "I need to do that!"... and once again your SPT is making me say.. "I need to do that!"

Cecilia said...

Love this self portrait! You've inspired me to start a journal again!

Linda said...

What a beautiful photo...if I took great pictures and was as photogenic as you, I'd be taking SPTs all day long!

I ALWAYS look washed out and make-up less in self-portraits. I truly fear that's how I look for real!!

Crystalyn said...

i have a great book to put my thoughts in this year and i'm very excited about it!

Jill said...

This is a great picture Amy!

Lucy said...

I'm looking forward to the creative way you will tackle self-portraits. It's an inspiration to the entire art from.

Anonymous said...

I think your self-portraits are inspirational. You have such a talent for it. I wish you would do a tutorial on your tricks of the trade: "How to take a good self-portrait."

michelle said...

Great goals, Amy. Love your shot. I don't journal, blogging is the next best thing for me.

you might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...