Wednesday, January 07, 2009

farewell 2008

1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
Family backyard campout, rode up the side of the mountain in a sleigh and had dinner in a yurt, put together a blurb book, reconnect with old friends on facebook, ran in a 5k with my whole family, took a design class, attempted watercolors, and made books.



2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I did keep some of them and even made some along the way. Yes, I will always make resolutions. They keep me focused on what's most important to me.



3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
I'm afraid to name them because I don't want to forget anyone, but what's coming to my mind now is my cousin Kalli, bloggers/friends Jordan, Mindy and Dani.



4. Did anyone close to you die?
Adam's Grandma Dot and the Prophet Gordon B. Hinkley



5. What countries did you visit?
No countries in 2008, but can I add I went to Lake Powell and I hadn't gone in over 10 years.



6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
More patience with my little ones and more patience with myself.

7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
a) I will always remember watching and cheering for Michael Phelps during the Olympics. My whole family gathered around to take part.
b) Sharing the news with my girls when Grandma Dot and President Hinkley passed away.



8. What was your biggest personal achievement of the year?
I've finally been able to let go of my death issues. That alone has freed me up to experience life on a whole new level. I am happier now than I can ever remember being.



9. What was your biggest failure?
Letting what other people think get in my way. It is my nemesis and I'm determined to beat it.



10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
No, thank goodness.



11. What was the best thing you bought?
food storage



12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Bella choose to be baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, Tess worked really hard and made great strides on her reading, and Megan started the violin.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
I was really disappointed there wasn't a presidential candidate I could really believe in. Voting was one of the hardest things I did.



14. Where did most of your money go?
We had no huge purchases or problems so to be completely honest it was probably the grocery store, costco, or gas (so glad the prices came down).

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
One of my dreams coming true



16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
adam: It takes Two by Ryan Adams
my girls: Apologize by 1Republic
me: Hometown by Adele & Where I Stood by Missy Higgins

17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
A. Happier.
B. No change, though I my legs are more muscular because I started running. So I guess my answer would be fitter.
C. We are as poor or as rich (however you choose to see it) as we were last year.



18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Written more of my thoughts down, found more ways to serve, and I wish we had taken a real family vacation.



19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
I wish I had not given anonymous the power to get in my way of finishing up my self portrait goal. A lesson learned.




20. Did you fall in love in 2008?
I feel in love with life. I know that sounds lame, but it's true. I learned to really appreciate what I have.



21. What was your favorite TV program?
I basically stopped watching TV this year due to the writers strike, but I was super excited for So You Think You Can Dance during the summer.

22. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
No. Why is this even a question?



23. What was the best book you read?
The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer

24. What was your greatest musical discovery?
They are never my discoveries, but The National and Adele



25. What did you want and get?
A canon 5d mark II. Yep, I'm still smiling.

26. What did you want and not get?
a family vacation



27. What was your favorite film of this year?
I can't even remember going to many movie so I must not have been in love with any of them. I will say I was really excited to see the new James Bond, but unfortunately I didn't love it.

28. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 32. I have to admit I don't remember all the details, but I do remember feeling loved and really what more could you want on your birthday.



29. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
It was a good year. I have zero complaints.

30. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008? Same as always...Jeans and a t-shirt. Somethings just never change.



31. What kept you sane? Adam, my family, photography, time with friends, blogging, and reading.

12 comments:

Lucy said...

Holy schmoly, those are some pretty pictures. It takes the whole meme to a different level. It makes it....art!

You are fantastic and I'm so glad I am your friend.

annzy said...

Thanks for sharing Amy ~that was great!

Jill said...

It seems like you had a really good year. I am planning on doing this meme, but am feeling a bit negative about last year so I'm not sure how it's going to go.

I hear you on the stuff with "Anonymous" it's so frustrating and sad that it happened at all and that it has had such lasting effects. I am not the same after my experiences with negative commenters either.

Grandma B said...

Amy I love your blog. You are amazing! Your photography is beautiful and your words so inspiring...I knew that 7th grade girl that I drug around in my car with my Jen was one of a kind and someone really special. So happy for you that life is so good. I love looking at the world from your eyes. Janet

TX Girl said...

It makes me sad to hear that you weren't able to complete your self portrait project. Anonymous is annoying reminder of how terrible we can be to one another. I hope for an anonymous free year:)

I'm so happy you have been able to put your death issues behind you.

It sounds like you had a good year. Yeah for you! Hope 2009 is just as good.

My life said...

I'd love to see world and life from your eyes and hope to have one year like you had! Hope that 2009 will be great, inspiring and beautiful for you! Thanks for sharing!

Amy said...

I'm loving reading the answers to this meme, including yours. It's cool that you "found" Adele. I saw her at Bonaroo this year. Not only is she talented, she's adorable, too! I hope you have another great year!

Anonymous said...

it was so great to see you today. I am always reading but never commenting so I just wanted to say hi, I really like this post, it's fun for me to answer some of those questions for myself as I read through.

Love the picture, can't wait to see more.

We should try to get together soon, seeing you made me miss you and want to hang out again.

Crystalyn said...

yay for a great year! happy for you. beautiful photos.

Anonymous said...

LOVE the swing photo.

Here is a quote for you:
You can't live your life worrying that the world is staring at you. When you let people's opinions make you self-conscious you give away your power. The key to keeping your power (confidence) is to always listen to your inner self (the real you). And in the kingdom of God, the real you is 'more precious than rubies.' Every young woman is a child of destiny of every adult woman a powerful force for good.."

Jeffery R. Holland

I got this quote in YW and I've read it every day since.

michelle said...

I love the picture of you and Adam eating popcorn!

You tried a lot of new things in 2008, very cool.

onehm said...

I am a lurker, but I had to say that I love your photos, especially the ones you take of yourself with your girls with the timer. I'm trying to be better about figuring that one out myself, and you are the inspiration!
I loved this post.
Thanks for sharing yourself and your family in such a beautiful way!

you might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...