Thursday, June 17, 2010

my future

I think it hits you in the moment, when you're doing it, and you think, this is it...this is my future.



At least that's what if felt like to me this morning, early, as I sat in a meeting discussing layouts, typography, and photos for the new LDS Strength of Youth pamphlet.

When my friend called to ask if I would come and give my "artist" opinion on the this new project, I laughed. At some point in our friendship I gave her the impression that I'm the artistic type, and for whatever reason she asked me when there's a plethora of trained artist/designers out there. I won't deny that I'm flattered, but it's a very intimating situation to be in when you feel completely unqualified to be there. This is not the first time I've been asked on a similar assignment, but it never does get any easier, especially when you feel like you're a poser.

When the meeting got underway the first thing I did was look at the work that had already been completed and the ideas they were working on. Then all eyes were on us (there was an interior designer there as well), a pause, and then I went for it. The words started flowing out of me like I knew what I was doing. I surprised myself, I really do know something about design, my friend wasn't crazy to ask me. I'm not schooled or trained (I have taken a couple online class though), but I know the satisfying feeling you get, deep down, when something looks right.

And it was then, in that moment, when I knew, without a doubt, design is what I want to do.

I love it, I love it, I love it. I cannot begin to describe how energizing it was to talk about design and bounce around options. I surprised myself with my ideas, with what I saw, with the changes I would make and to hear that they liked them too.

I don't know why this was such a revelation to me. I've always loved design and mentioned years ago, on my blog even, that I wanted to go back to school and get a BA in Graphic Design, but today was the first time I realized this isn't something I love as a hobby...it's something I love as part of who I am. I feel like I need it and for the first time in a while I no longer feel like I'm standing at the fork in the road. I'm moving.

My mind is swirling today at the possibilities for my time this fall. I know what to do and man does it feel good...it feels right.

12 comments:

Amy said...

I am so glad you are feeling this way! Your whole face, your whole being just lit up today when you were talking about it. Anything that makes you that happy needs to be pursued.

Yay for moving ahead!

xxox

Shelley said...

Wow! What an opportunity for you. That is so amazing, just as you are. I'm so excited for you and what you discovered for yourself!

TX Girl said...

Ahh the joys of all your kids being in school. I'm anxiously/sadly awaiting the day I go back to school too.

Hooray for you and for realizing your brilliant new path. Although I've always thought of you as an artist too.

Crystalyn said...

congrats amy. i'm genuinely happy for you. it must feel so great to have these feelings especially at a time when all the doors are wide open for you to act on them. how exciting!

Unknown said...

always so good to have goals and to feel like we are progressing. can't wait to see what you accomplish!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Now THAT is discovery! I can't wait to see what you create.

jenica said...

wheeee! so glad to see this spark in you. i think it's a perfect fit. xoxoxoxo

Anonymous said...

This is awesome!!! Wish I was there to share in your enthusiasm in person, but I can feel it in this post! You are going to do great things- like you already do. xoxx

Robyn said...

Yay Amy! GO for it. I love that you had this experience and that you felt that awakening and that sense of surety. I can't wait to hear your plans. You are a designer. Sometimes I think the rest of us knew it before you did!

Kathy said...

This is so exciting to read these words after such a fantastic experience! I can't wait to see what you do with it after school begins in the fall.

Tasha said...

You are so NOT a poser! I wish you could see the you that the rest of us see.

I'm so excited for you. I
d love to go back to school, I'd be a perpetual student if I could!

Marcelina Moreno said...

I've followed your blog silently for a while, but when I saw this post I had to comment. I had a moment just like this one about 1 year ago, it was thrilling and scary at the same time. If you had told me then that I would eventually sell nearly everything I owned and would move to London to study Interior Design, well I would have laughed in your face. But here I am on the greatest adventure of my life. Just like before it's thrilling and scary at the same time, but all of it is so worth it.

Enough about me, let me gush on you for a moment. You are fantastic! I have loved watching your family (that sounds creepy, right?) You are so incredibly talented and I'm 100% confident that you are going to be an amazing graphic designer. I can't wait to see this new story as it unfolds. Congrats!

you might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...