Well it was during my sister vacation this summer that many of her things were in question. My Dad had a box of stuff that was going to the DI/Good Will if they were not claimed. So of course I found myself looking through the box, I have a thing for anything that reminds me of my childhood, and found this very cool little vintage looking plaque that read, "Think happy".

Seeing it again triggered a flood of memories from my childhood. I have to be honest, I'm not sure whose it was, but I can remember it hanging on a wall and looking at it each time I passed. I always really liked the simplicity of the illustration, but don't know that I thought much about it passed that. It just, well, it made me happy to see.
My sister really didn't care whether I took it or not, which was good because when I saw it I knew I had to have it. I'm not sure why I was so attached to it, like I said I don't even think it was mine, but seeing it again reminded me that happiness is a choice and that knowledge is something I am desperate to teach my children. I know not everyday is a good day, but I know each day we can find something to smile about...how I wish I had understood that years ago. So I decided it would have a permanent home in our kitchen, a place my girls would see it frequently and hopefully be reminded that happiness is within their reach and completely up to them.
And perhaps on a bad day it can be the one thing to help them smile.
5 comments:
so sweet.
You are lucky to be able to have sentimental things from your childhood, Amy! I only have one or two things like that, and they make me happy.
This is so cute. I love that you re-discovered it and that it has so much meaning for you.
I was just thinking, "I don't have anything like this" but I do have an embroidered thing on my kids' wall that my mom made for my baptism when I was 8. It's a rainbow and it says, "Love is the sun shining in us". Very cute. Glad you reminded me that I am lucky to have it.
Love it.
Post a Comment