
It occurred to me, a few months back, that I'm done with the baby/toddler stage (I need you, I need you, I need you) and have moved on to a more independent (can you help me with this? I don't need your help) stage. I think a piece of me will always mourn leaving the baby/toddler stage behind even though I do embrace the change. I guess it's just that after living life one way for years and years it seems weird to be entering a different world in the life of motherhood.
One of the biggest differences to my new life is my schedule. Life is just busier in those few short hours after school where everything needs to get accomplished so we can have an enjoyable evening together. I'm learning to appreciate the moments of peace I get during the day and embracing the afternoon rush as I'm shuffling kids from school to dance or violin reminding myself that this is where I'm at. On the days I wonder if I can keep up this pace I remind myself what else this brings into my life...girls I can talk with, reason with, and enjoy a form of give and take. Knowing their gone all day really does make for more meaningful moments in the evening that we just get to hang out together, and it's something I've noticed we've all sought out, that we all need before we end our day...time together.
So as crazy as it seems to be leaving one stage and moving onto the next, I'm grateful for what I learned the last 8 years and hopeful for what this next phase in our life will bring for my little family.
6 comments:
oh Amy such a cute way to have those memories of little feet running...and snuggling in the bed...my boys too as of late, don't come in anymore...I have to find them downstairs...or they will come and say 'BOO' and leave! Different stages I guess....it is nice to actually have them break the new routine and come in and snuggle! not soo common anymore...
I realized this about the midnight visits awhile ago... and you are right... even though I didn't sleep well I miss them a bit.
It is impressive that anyone can embrace those witching hours after school... no matter how hard I try I just can't channel the good fairy... I am trying.
This is so well put. We are entering that stage, the schedules and routine that we *have* to follow. This last week was the first for me and I found myself somewhat resenting it- missing those days where I had 100% control over who and what and where. This post makes me pause and realize I have a lot to look forward to :)
I for one am totally excited to get to the point where no one is hanging on me! Ready to move out of the "i need you i need you" phase. And I hope that, when I get there, I have fond memories of where I am right now...
I know what you mean about passing that stage. Once in a while I have a moment with Ashley and think, "this is probably my last" and I have a little pang. Little. Small. Tiny. Pang. Then it all goes away and I feel really good about it! Ha ha. I totally agree with you that each stage has its challenges and blessings... you're just going into a new stage, it will still be good and fun and exciting in its own way.
so bittersweet. isn't it strange that it's so hard in the middle of it? i'm still in the thick of it so i'm glad to read thoughts like this to remind me that i will miss it when it's over. i know i will.
Post a Comment