Friday, May 02, 2008

extrememly loud

I just finished reading Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer. I heard it was excellent, but hesitated to read it after hearing it was so much like The History of Love. I really liked that book and didn't want to ruin it by trying to make a comparison.

Now all I have to say is I'm sorry I didn't read it sooner. I loved it. I thought there were so many reminders about living. Apparently this is how I judge a book, by what I take from it and how I can apply it to my life, however, this book was much more than just a simple lesson. I felt I related to the characters...each one fighting to get their life back and enjoy it despite what they felt was taken away. Somehow I understood why they took one path over another, even though at times I was disappointed with their grief. Yes, even I can see how holding onto something can slowly, bit by bit, take you away from living.

"You cannot protect yourself from sadness without protecting yourself from happiness." - Jonathan Safran Foer

A simple, but poignant lesson I learned years ago, but remind myself today how wonderful it is to feel. I remember thinking if I could just run away from the sadness, if I could just keep from having to go through experiences that hurt, but found happiness ran away with it. You cannot hold your feelings hostage one without the other. I regret so much the time that has been wasted trying to hide, so many moments lost in fear. Now I do my best to live each day present and allow myself to feel because feeling keeps me real.

Other quotes from the book I loved:

"Why are you leaving me?
He wrote, I do not know how to live.
I do not know either but I am trying.
I do not know how to try.
There were some things I wanted to tell him. But I knew they would hurt him. So i buried them and let them hurt me"


"Sometimes I can hear my bones straining under the weight of all the lives I'm not living"

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Each time I read your blog (which is pretty much every single day) I walk away asking myself, "Was it meant for me to come across this blog. Did God lead me to her blog?" It seems that no matter what, what you say, what you feel, your emotions, match mine, what I am going through whether it be mentally or emotionally at the same time. Just when I feel like giving up, I come to your blog, read your words and it puts a whole new perspective to my light. I truly can't explain but I will say, "thank you for being an angel for me even though that isn't your purpose."

Amie said...

Everytime I hear someone talk about this book I want to read it. I'm glad you enjoyed it... I like books that I take something away from too... I think it helps me justify the time spent as well.

Robyn said...

Like Amie I keep hearing about this book and I really want to read it. It sounds fabulous. I love the quotes that you shared especially the last one about the weight of the lives not being lived. Wow. Excellent.

Amy said...

Oh goodness...for that last quote alone! I would also be hesitant with The History of Love comparison because I so loved that book. I'm so glad you posted this because I'll definitely be reading this one, too.

Midge said...

I'm glad you liked it. I love this book and can't wait for him to come out with another one. We should have done it for book club, I think it would make for a great discussion.

Crystalyn said...

"so i buried them and let them hurt me." if i'm not careful this can be my mo.

love all the quotes. i can tell i'm definitely going to have to pick this book up.

Jill said...

I'll check into this book, I know Lori loved it too.

Anonymous said...

I really liked this book- almost more than History of Love. I judge a book a lot by the same standards- what I am take from it, what I learn about myself and others. So glad you liked it!

michelle said...

I've really been wanting to read this, Amy, and now I think I should move it up on my list! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

you might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...